How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116705
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is: the state of Milwaukee issued me a birth

Customer Question

My question is : the state of Milwaukee issued me a birth certificate saying that I was birthed by Louise teachey in 1951. She had been steralized by the north Carolina eugenics program. So all of these years I'm thinking one thing when in reality it's another. So is this basis for a civil lawsuit against the state? Oh, and by the way, I was adopted by Louis teachey, not birthed by her.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you were legally adopted, under the adoption laws at the time in WI and today as well, the birth certificate is modified to list the adopted parent as the parent on the birth certificate. It is the way the law is set up with adoptions and it is not unlawful for them doing this. It would not be a basis to sue the state either, as there is only 1 year to file suit against the state even if you had something you may have sued over and it has now been 65 years almost since this took place.