How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55322
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I red an attorney with a retainer at first month, then moved

Customer Question

I hired an attorney with a retainer at first month, then moved to a contingency after that, then after 7 months she said I needed to pay $5000 plus court costs as a retainer to file the actual lawsuit with another $5000 retainer once this retainer is used up at $185/ this normal? Im not feeling as though I am being well represented. I thought I was suing and signed an agreement for age discriination and intentional emotional abuse... MY ex employer is withholding their signature to get my my 403b and my personal computer. I have had my attorneys ok to contact the AG, and president of my ex employer, a this normal,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I agree with are not being well-represented and your lawyer has no legal right to keep changing the fee arrangement. I would suggest you raise the stakes on him. You should send him a letter by certified, return receipt requested detailing the history, terminating him as your lawyer, and demand he return your file, refund any money paid, write off any amounts he thinks are due, and pay you any damages you have suffered due to any failure to timely perform his duties. Inform him that if he does not comply with your demands within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to: i) file a formal ethics complaint with the state bar association, and ii) file a legal malpractice suit against him for your damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as a deceptive trade practice cause of action for his misrepresentation of his fee arrangement, which will entitle you not only to your actual damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your ethics complaint and your suit. In my experience, this letter is all you will need to send because the lawyer will comply rather than risk the loss of his license and punitive damages.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Legal Questions