How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Sherman Oaks, Ca.....I was reason some of the

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. I live in Sherman Oaks, Ca.....I was reason some of the articles that pertain to me. I was served a UD this past Thursday. I sought legal council and he will file a demurrer (up yo 35 days) instead of a Answer (3 weeks after the summons was delivered). The 3-day notice was incomplete as there is no rent amount. I was served a UD becasue I was let go from my job as a "On-site Property Mgr" and one of the requirements is to live in the apartment rent free and I would get a salary also. I was let go 10/15/2015. I have trying to find a place to move to with my disabled Mother. This is a very fierce market we are in so I sought other avenues such as rent to own homes or purchasing a small home with government assistance. The demurrer will allow me another 35 days then request for a hearing and possible answer at that time - this time will hopefully still allow m to find a place to live with my Mother.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The guy , Todd, was my Supervisor. He let me go. I have been searching for places to live to, but the rent now is too expensive...luckily, I have a part-time job as a caregiver taking care of Mom thru IHSS (In-House Supportive Services. Todd has no heart......I was hired back in August of this year and in October he let me go.....I believe this is an alterior why he wants me here, but I cannot prove it....anyway.... this is my demise and this is the only solution until I can find a place to live.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes....
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

My name is***** am an expert on the forum. I reviewed your discussion above, and I wanted to clarify my understanding.

You are currently represented by counsel, and they will be filing a demurrer on your behalf.

That is good - but I am concerned about the timeline (35 days after you have been served is far too long, you have 5 days to file a responsive pleading to a UD complaint, I assume that this may have been a typo and that your attorney is acting promptly, and has not confused your UD with a civil action).

Is there a specific legal question that you have for us today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response....however, I am going to tomorrow morning with the attorney to file the demurrer motion (I have 35 days) was there is a that correct....I was told I would have 90 days to extend my stay my stay here until Mother and I can find an affordable place to I missing something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After the file days (35 days) so I need to file or answer?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

No, you need to file a responsive pleading (this can be a demurrer or an answer - you do not need to file both at the same time) within 5 days.

It appears that your attorney has things under control.

This will generally give you additional time (35-90 days is a reasonable approximation - if your local attorney has given you this estimate I would go with that, it is based on local backlogs in the court and will be based on local experience, it varies by county).

It sounds as if you have things in order, and you are continuing to look for affordable housing (so you are doing the right thing - continuing to look). If you have not already done so, contact your County Housing Department/Authority directly, they should be able to assist you with your search.