Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My ex-husband is suing me for $38000, loans that he

Customer Question

My ex-husband is suing me for $38000, for student loans that he co-signed for (while married) and subsequently paid off, after our divorce. In the divorce decree, I agreed to be responsible for those loans, yet, have been unable to pay them...I worked 30+ miles from work and am a single mother. For the 2+ years of our separation and divorce, we lived in the same town (he knee exactly where I lived); he even occasionally helped me, financially, in those 2 years...the most recent, $300 to help me move, closer to my job. One time, since the divorce, had he mentioned these student loans. He came to my apartment, threatening to pay, "or else..." The next day, I took a check to his house and said if he wanted it paid, he could mail the check? Later that same day, he informed me that he tore up my check and paid off the loan. I heard nothing again until now.
These student loans were used as my contribution, along with borrowing from my 401K, to "help" with our day-to-day financial needs, as I was going to nursing school, which HE strongly encouraged. Now, 6 years later and another 1.5 degrees (I am a year away of completing my Master's Degree), he (in conversation, previously) admits that he resents me.
I guess I am just asking for some basic advise? I am working two jobs, now...trying to find a way, now that my son is in college; I don't understand his motives. Thank you
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Please tell me what it is you need information for. Please member, I can only answer what you ask and provide information for the same. I cannot guess what it is you need to know.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I dispute this? We were married at the time of these loans, using the money as my "paycheck"? I don't have $38000?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

I suggest that you will want to consider mediation with your ex and formulate a payment plan. If you can come to terms on it, then the court will not intervene. If the court intervenes, your wages could be garnished.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

So I suggest it is best to try to have a meeting of the minds. Unfortunately, you are responsible for the money, as Ordered by the court.