Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Police officer failed to bring drug evidence to court

Customer Question
hearing where defense intended...
Police officer failed to bring drug evidence to court hearing where defense intended to file a motion to suppress. do to improper search & seize. Should the evidence be suppressed do to improper search & failure to bring the actual evidence to court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
12/4/2015
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

The court has the power to suppress only in cases where there has been a violation of the rights of the accused.
So, an illegal search (where an accused rights to privacy are violated) would be a basis to exclude evidence.
The police forgetting to bring evidence to a hearing? Generally speaking not enough for a court to suppress (unless this has happened several time)

P. Simmons, Attorney