Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Someone is threatening to post naked pictures of me on

Customer Question

Someone is threatening to post naked pictures of me on social media what is my recourse
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Because the law differs state to state, I need to know:

1) What state are you in?

2) What state are they in?

3) Are they a former lover? If not, who are they?

4) What do they want in return so as not to post? Sexual favors? Money? Etc.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alaska they r in oregon. It is a girlfriend of an x. She doesnt want anything. She just wants to embarrass me.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

This is actually criminal in both Alaska and Oregon.

ALASKA

Revenge porn could fall under § 11.61.120 (harassment in the second degree): “(a) A person commits the crime of harassment in the second degree if, with intent to harass or annoy another person, that person— 6) publishes or distributes electronic or printed photographs, pictures, or films that show the genitals, anus, or female breast of the other person or show that person engaged in a sexual act.”

OREGON

(1) A person commits the crime of unlawful dissemination of an intimate image if: (a) The person, with the intent to harass, humiliate or injure another person, knowingly causes to be disclosed through an Internet website an identifiable image of the other person whose intimate parts are visible or who is engaged in sexual conduct; (b) The person knows or reasonably should have known that the other person does not consent to the disclosure; (c) The other person is harassed, humiliated or injured by the disclosure; and (d) A reasonable person would be harassed, humiliated or injured by the disclosure.

So someone in your situation may wish to have an attorney (or yourself) write a letter to them, stating that if this is done, then a criminal complaint would be filed, and in addition, she would be sued for (a) negligence per se, (b) intentional infliction of emotional distress, and (3) invasion of privacy.

Let me know if you need an example of such a letter. It is best that an attorney sends this on one's behalf as this carries more of a threat than simply sending it one's self.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base because you had not rated positively. Let me know. Thanks!