How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband have me and my son on s va compensation &

Customer Question

my ex-husband have me and my son on his va compensation & pension award when he remarried he never took us off his award, he's now in a coma. is this legal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
As long as your name and the child's name are remaining on the pension as beneficiaries, at his death you and the child receive the money. The only way for it to be cancelled would be if there was a divorce decree sent to the VA that said that you would be removed from beneficiary status. But as long as you are still on the award and his sons are on the award, then upon his death you three would receive the payment. As he is now in a coma, it is too late to do anything to change it now as he is not able or competent to do so.