Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I been working years in the same company and each time I ask

Customer Question

I been working for 10 years in the same company and each time I ask for a raise in salary at least cost of living expenses, I get denied. Is this legal, I cannot afford to loose my job.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There is unfortunately no legal right to a raise unless you have a contract that promises cost of living increases. However, whatever basis the employer has for deciding whether or not to grant increases must be applied equally to all employees. An employer cannot, for example, only give raises to white employees, or males, or employees who happen to share his religion. But if there isn't any pattern of discrimination going on, an employee's only recourse when denied a raise is to seek employment elsewhere.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.