Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I had a friend years ago and my mother inlaw sold m a car

Customer Question

I had a friend years ago and my mother inlaw sold him a car and a contract was written up but he has not made any payments and now cannot get ahold of him, how long in Maryland does she have to sue him?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

In Maryland, the statute of limitations for breach of a written contract is three years. With a contract where someone is supposed to make monthly payments, the statute is reset each time a payment is made or missed. That means she could go back and sue for the last three years of payments, even if too much time has passed for her to get the full amount. A promise to pay will also reset the statute. The statute of limitations is a defense, so it's up to the other party to raise it in court.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.