Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Israeli Laywer Does anyone know the law regarding hotel

Customer Question
bookings in Israel? There are...
Israeli Laywer Does anyone know the law regarding hotel bookings in Israel? There are clear laws for getting your money back when you return goods to a shop but what about a hotel booking? I had to have tests at Tel Hashomer hospital over two days so decided
to book into the Apropos hotel in the hospital grounds. When we got there saw the hotel was so sub standard that we decided we not going to stay there. In the room there was black gunk and rust on shower floor and wall with broken tiles. Filthy curtains with
holes and stains hanging off from the rails. Thick black grime all around the air vents. Filthy carpets and bed covering that stunk. Peeling paint on the walls. Chipped stained Formica furniture. Too too awful. Told desk we would not stay after seeing room
but they would not give us our money back. Explained we did not cancel nor did we not show up. We came to the hotel but it was sub standard and they still would not refund all our money. Receptionist would not let us speak to manager and got very rude, After
two days fighting with them they still refuse to put us in contact with manger. We went to another hotel nearby which was the same price and it was a lovely 5 star hotel (Kfar Habacabia.) What are my legal rights to get my money back if I turned up at the
hotel but saw it was sub standard? I took photos and even videoed the receptionist refusing to let me speak to the management. posting for a friend
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
12/2/2015
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

ANSWER:

The applicable law would be as per any contract or booking terms and conditions that you may have had with the hotel. If there was a misrepresenation as to the quality of the place, you could make a false advertising or misrepresentation case against the hotel; but this will not likely be practical from a monetary standpoint. Probably a better option is to contact them and let them know if they will not voluntarily issue a refund, you will upload the video and the photos to consumer protection websites and to Youtube to make sure people are careful not to book there in the futute.

For example, see this link.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will pass this on to my friend and let you know if this is enough or she may have other questions .
Madeleine

okay, thanks Madeleine...will wait to hear back from you....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really beleive that you are trying to help and your answer is a good idea ,BUT has not given us teh law in Israel .
I asked for a local lawyer and I gather you are NOT . I am still in the same situation as I was before I need to know the law pertailing to the country that I live in .................... Madeleine

Okay, well I can opt out and see if another expert can assist you. Your deposit is still in tact and you need not do anything.

Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR.
Under Israel law, this is a breach of contract by the hotel, since they must provide a habitable room for the guest as part of the agreement contract. You need to start by calling to speak to management, but if that does not work, if they are a large chain you can contact the corporate office and if not your next step is filing a dispute with your credit card if you used the credit card. Your final recourse, you would have to sue the hotel for refund of your money, since they did not provide habitable accommodations for you to stay in as guaranteed by their contract with you.
You can sue in Israel for small claims without an attorney. See: https://lawinisrael.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/small-claims-in-israel-faq/
Also, you can file a complaint with the Israel Consumer Council to get them to try to resolve the matter without court: www.consumers.org.il/category/israel-consumer-council
Also, the ministry of tourism can many times assist in these complaints: http://www.goisrael.com/Tourism_Eng/Articles/Pages/Tourphone.aspx
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney