How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2 Your Own Question
Attorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6907
Experience:  29 Years In General Practice,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal girlfriend to sign and sell a man's homeplace

Customer Question

Is it legal for a girlfriend to sign and sell a man's homeplace while he was incarcerated for 25 yrs
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for using JA.

Is only the man on title/deed to the real estate? Did the man give the girlfriend a power of attorney to sell the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he didnt give her power of attorney. His name was the only one on the land. She went to court and put in for a divorce even though they only dated a few times. He only found out recently since he has been locked up 26 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is 183 acres that had been in his family for 4 generations
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

That is an odd set of circumstances since they were not married nor was she on title to be able to legally transfer the property. This sounds like fraud that is actionable against her. The deed she provided to the purchasers would be fraud since not only was she not on title she had no power of attorney to sign on his behalf. Do you know if the transaction) closed through a title insurance company. I would want to see what type of documents that title company received in order to justify a closing. Do you have a copy of the deed she signed transferring title to the purchaser? That is the first document he wants to get a copy of. How can we help the man? Where is located so an attorney can review the chain of title and take action against the girlfriend?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that your may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

Thank you for using JA!

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

The County will have a copy of the deed. Can you tell me where in Tennessee the real property is located?

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Please ignore the additional services request. These requests auto/generate. I wanted to follow up with you to see if you have any additional questions with regard to this matter? Were you able to obtain a copy of the deed that the girlfriend used to transfer title/sell the property?