How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrakeLAW Your Own Question
DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 740
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
DrakeLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired in Arizona on a low income I am also disabled

Customer Question

I am retired in Arizona on a low income I am also disabled and have fallen behind in my credit card obligations to the point I have not been paying them but have informed all of them of my circumstances and while some understood 1 in particular has served papers, what can I expect as social security is cannot be garnished and my home is also out of bounds. I have no bank account and live solely on my SS check from mon to month.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I hope to answer your questions. When you say you were served papers it sounds like a lawsuit was served upon you? If you do not respond to the lawsuit they will get a default judgment against you. Once they get that judgment it will be reported to your credit (which won't much matter given your non-payment of credit cards anyway) and they may try to collect on the judgment. If you believe your house is safe they may try to garnish bank accounts but if you have none and have only social security for income, then there does not seem to be much they can do to collect against you. The worst thing would be is if they request a "judgment debtor's exam" requiring you to appear at court and provide documents proving your assets and income and if you don't appear for that a civil arrest warrant may be issued for you. You probably do not want that hanging over your head so if that ever does get filed, you should simply show up and show them your documents proving you are uncollectable. Hope that helps and good luck! Please rate the response to close out the question. Thank you.