Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am supposed to appear tomorrow morning Subpoena Duces

Customer Question

I am supposed to appear tomorrow morning for a Subpoena Duces Tecum by regional Attorney General's office. My last attorney has moved and is not longer representing me. I have tried to hire a new attorney, but with the Thanksgiving holiday, I haven't had much luck. I don't even have my file, so I don't know what to tell them.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

Here you need to appear whether you have the documents or not.Appear here and advise the court your lawyer has left and you need more time to hire a new lawyer to protect your rights.Ask for say 30 days or so if you can get it.If you fail to appear they can issue a pick up warrant and pick you up sometime down the road.

Appearing and being honest is the best you can do here.You can tell them your lawyer has your files.You also need to write or email the lawyer and ask for immediate return of files so you can seek a new lawyer here.Appearing at court is the best you can so and asking for more time to seek a new lawyer.

The court usually grants such a request for continuance.If you have any of the requested documents it is also in your interest to bring what you can as it shows good faith and more time maybe more likely to be granted here for you.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best in court here.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.