How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question I live in my husb shot two neighboyrs north are

Customer Question

Question I live in my husb shot two neighboyrs north are fine he's in jail his of bipolar don't remember whet he did this is a nightmare what can I do to protect my home it's in his name can I get sued in civil court or he
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

If your husband shot someone, those individuals can sue him for this (it is a civil claim of battery, among other causes of action).

If they do in fact sue him, his assets are potentially subject to collection (this would include his home, however depending on your state, that residence may be protected by state "exemptions" from collection - you do not provide the state where you are located, but if you do I can provide you with your state's bankruptcy/collections exemptions).

If he were to transfer these assets to you, his creditors could still pursue those assets under the "Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act" (not claiming that you are committing fraud, this is simply a way for creditors to recover property that a debtor transfers without receiving full compensation).

If your husband did actually shoot two individuals, you may want to speak with a local civil litigation attorney, there may be some specific asset planning that you want to work on that can be useful if you act quickly, but these would be something you are going to want to do with a local attorney - with the attorney/client privilege and the ability to review you and your husband's entire financial portfolio - not on a public internet forum.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).