How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118247
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is, My ex has moved my sons away from me. At

Customer Question

My question is, My ex has moved my sons away from me. At first when everything was filed he was living in Franklin Park, IL, which was 25 miles away from me. Now, in June of this year he has moved them to Oswego which is over 40 miles away, a total ride of 52 mins, however, with rush hour traffic I am in the car for almost 3 hours. Is the new law in January going to make him move my sons closer to me, meaning within a 25 mile radius? He is the one that disrupted the visitation, I have been at the same house since this whole thing began, I haven't moved at all. What will help me be closer to my sons, within the new laws.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the new law is not going to make him move if he has already moved. It would impact any custody actions that occur after the law goes into effect. If you object to the move, then you needed to file an objection in the court within 30 days of the move to ask the court to prevent the move. If you did not do so, once someone moves already with the children, I am afraid the court is not going to make them move back under the new law because it is not retroactive.
If he tries to move again in 2016 when the new law goes into effect, then he would be prevented from doing so without a court order.