Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Is it still possible to get alimony 8 years after a divorce?

Customer Question

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, if alimony is not awarded during the initial divorce, it is never ordered. The reason is that alimony is meant to supplement the receiving spouse's income to allow him/her to maintain the current standard of living experienced while married. So, if a spouse has been able to make it 8 years without support, it is very, very unlikely that a court would award it now.

Usually, the only possibility is when the spouse seeking support can prove that the other spouse defrauded him/her and the court in the divorce (hid assets/income) which could be a reason to set aside or revisit the original divorce decree/judgment.