Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

This is what happened: I got home after a day at work and

Customer Question
this is what happened:...
this is what happened: I got home after a long day at work and parked my truck in the usual spot, went inside and was getting ready for dinner with the fam. About an hour later a neighbor knocks on the door and says that my truck rolled down and across the street and hit a parked vehicle. Sure enough, it rolled about 100 yards down the street and dented up both doors on the driver's side. I got in and backed it off and drove it back to its usual spot. No one called the police, and the neighbor whose car it hit is out of town but the other neighbor was trying to call her and he gave me her number as well. Here is the kicker... My insurance had lapsed. I didn't realize that two policies (aa commercial liability policy and my commercial truck policy) were linked together in one payment, and when I got behind on my bills the policy lapsed a couple of months ago but I was going on my merry way thinking I still had truck insurance. I have a swimming pool service route that I run from home that I use that truck for. I immediately tried to call that insurance company, but the emergency line that I was given said they are closed until Monday for Thanksgiving... My insurance cards indicate that the policy is good until next February, but again the payment lapsed and it got cancelled without my realizing it before. So in panic mode, I added my truck to my GEICO policy that my cars are on as a commuter vehicle last night immediately after the accident. I have not contacted Geico insurance about it yet and the out of town neighbor who's car my truck rolled in to has not called me back yet. One more thing, it was in park, but the parking brake was not on. What is going to happen?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
11/26/2015
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, this was certainly an accident and you have an obligation to contact the owner of the other vehicle, who is out of town. If you can obtain their number, call them and inform them of the accident. If you do not, you need to leave your contact information on their car or on their door to their home, to inform them of this and how to contact you. This way, you do not get charged with leaving the scene of an accident / hit and run. Now, if the insurance lapsed, you would be responsible for the damage, out of pocket. Even though it was an oversight, the insurance company will not cover you if the policy was not in effect, as a result of the premium not being paid. Finally, even though you obtained insurance, it was not in effect at the time, so they do not have to cover it. Now, if you report this, they are going to ask when the accident occurred. If you report it as something that happened AFTER you put the policy in place, when you know it happened prior to, then you would be committing fraud. If they investigated and found out, you could be criminally prosecuted, so you need to be aware of that, if you were thinking about reporting it, since they will ask you when this happened.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney