How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29814
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced and receiving alimony in MA. Our agreement

Customer Question

I am divorced and receiving alimony in MA. Our agreement states the alimony is due �on or before the Friday of each week�. My ex husband has ommitted and been consistently late with payments.
I'd like his company to direct deposit from his pay into my checking account to ensure I recieve payments on time.
Is there a law that supports this? How do I get him to be on time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You have the ability to file a Motion for to Enforce Settlement, asking the judge to order him to pay interest or a monetary penalty each Friday that you do not receive the money. You can also file a Motion to Modify, asking the judge to give you an order that will allow you to garnish his wages. Note that you won't be paid every Friday unless that's how he gets paid - the order would have to be changed so the payment schedule matches his employer's. But once you have a court order that allows for garnishment, you can give to your ex-husband's employer and they will send the funds to you directly. And you can ask that the modified judgment include interest or penalties for late payments going forward (which shouldn't be an issue unless he changes jobs).

This site has the forms.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.