N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Experience:  attorney at self
9653905

My fiance left because I got sick and he could not handle

Customer Question

My fiance left because I got sick and he could not handle it. He wants his stuff now and the doctors have me on bed rest and no stress. Can his recovery of his goods be on my schedule or do I have to be on his? I also gave him the option of my friends packing up his stuff and leaving it on the porch I do not want him in the house. Is this a viable option?
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

I'm sorry to hear this.

Yes, having your friends box his stuff and leave it for him is a reasonable way to deal with this.

He abandoned you and the property, so he is in no position to dictate the schedule to get back property he abandoned.

If he owes you less than $7500, you can sue to recover it in small claims court, see

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He owes me a lot more than that and the money for his portion of the bills until he moved out on November 12th. I am planning to sue for the full amount allowed in small claims court. So to clarify I can get him his belongings on my schedule and if my friends come and box all his clothes, essentials and everything his son has here I can then schedule another time when my health improves for him to move out the non essentials like crates of old books and paperwork and stuff like that when I am feeling better and he can come move all that stuff?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also do not have to allow him in my home anymore. My name is ***** ***** one on the title.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if he left on his own and I have an email stating he did so without really discussing any of this with me does he owe me for the portion of the bills for the time he lived there. Someone told me that if they leave on their own accord and leave you with that debt they owe you for that.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

Did you have an agreement to share expenses when he moved in?

How long did he live there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not immediately but shortly thereafter and I have many emails stating he owes me for supporting him and his son as well as what our payment arrangement was for the bills all this time. He lived with me for 28 months.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

He owes you according to the terms of your agreement with him.