Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Ok: Now another question. We have had our life stolen from

Customer Question

Ok: Now another question. We have had our life stolen from us; by Public Storage. June of 2014, they were under pressure to have an auction, by headquarters, and so they choose us. My wife Marguerite and I have been married for 35 yrs "sep of 1980". We
have almost nothing now, and nothing from the past, except a few pictures that somehow got saved etc. Any pictures, furniture, military records, and military medical records, even her piano are all gone. They did not notify us in a timely fashion. Yet had
an auction, because again, they were in a hurry and knew what we had in storage, and were being pressured by headquarters to have an auction. Even when we called them back, after seeing their number, they said we didn't call you. So in one sentence, 35 yrs
of marriage was sold for 550.00 by public storage and we have nothing. Most of marguerite's family is not talking to her at the present, and the ones that do, find other things to pick on her for. And she's in tears a lot. Is there anything we can do? Can
we sue and force them to handover all the paperwork, etc. help.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they did not provide you notice of the sale at the last known address, then you can sue them for not only the value of the property, but for the sentimental loss and emotional distress their failure to comply with the legal notices has caused you and your wife.
You need to get a local consumer protection attorney to seek to sue them for failure to provide you proper notice prior to the sale to give you a chance to get your property and to seek damages from them.