Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

In the state of oregon can a car dealership owned by one

Customer Question

In the state of oregon can a car dealership owned by one individual that has multiple locations charge another one of his own stores a fee for selling off another location?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of practice experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The answer to your question can get pretty complicated relative to tax laws and business structure, but the most simply answer is, yes, the owner can charge one of his stores a fee.

As a matter of fact, this is a pretty common practice. You can assume that each location is either a sub-corporation of a larger corporation, or that they are separate LLCs. When the fees such as this are charged by one to another, the entity that pays the fee can often time charge that expense off as a business expense. Since they are separate corporate structures with separate tax ID numbers, they are also separate tax structures.

This is pretty common in many businesses wherein a sole owner or ownership group has multiple locations...like car dealers and even farms.

Let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.

Please rate my answer positively (three or more stars) as well so I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks