How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in a mobile home park in marion county florida. the

Customer Question

we live in a mobile home park in marion county florida . the owner started a campaign to evict us because I put a handicap entrance to our home for my legally blind wife . at first we were sued for eviction for nonpayment of rent ( even though we paid by certified mail but it was refused ) we won the eviction proceedings , but the trial judge ruled that my wife's service dog must be removed because several of the owner's friends testified that he had jumped on them in the past . We could prove that all of them lied about part of their testimony , but the judge ruled prior to hearing our defences . we have filed a complaint with the FL JQC . Currently we are trying to obtain a stay of the removal order prior to the appeal trial based on the 14th amendment . Idealy we would like to find a lawyer pro bono but are looking for case law to support the violation of due process . any help would be much appreciated .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, they cannot prevent you having a service dog. They could require you to muzzle the dog if they believe it is a threat, but cannot deny you the right to the dog under the ADA. You can call your local center for disabled and also the local American Civil Liberties Union, the US Attorney's Office and the FL Attorney General's Office. These are all of the places you can get assistance for the denial of rights under the ADA and service dog laws.

The removal order needs to be objected to based on violation of your rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act.