Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had a recent stay at the Crowne Plaza hotel in New

Customer Question
Orleans. I received an email...
I had a recent stay at the Crowne Plaza hotel in New Orleans. I received an email confirmation from the hotel that had a total of $447.77 for four nights. When I checked out the bill total was $544.25 for an overcharge of $96.48. I was not aware of the total until I was given a receipt. This seems to me to be a violation of the bait and switch law. Am I right?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
11/22/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, no, if it stated on the email that the rate was an estimate, it is not bait and switch, you were told that it was an estimate and there could be a fluctuation. So you were not guaranteed the price or the total payment. You say it was a receipt, but it is not a receipt, it says on there it was an estimate and it made it clear that it was. So, I am afraid that they did not commit any violation in adjusting the payment since the email told you it could fluctuate and was only an estimate.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney