How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a cash judgment against me that I would like to keep

Customer Question

I have a cash judgment against me that I would like to keep from going after my trading capital. Is there a state that protects single member LLC's from being levied to settle the members's personal debt?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Some states do not allow garnishments, but all states allow writs of execution, which is what would be used to seize one's interest in an LLC and liquidate it to pay down the judgment.

You'd be better off to file bankruptcy to rid yourself of the debt or to try and reach an agreement with the creditor to settle the debt.