Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in a government subsidized apartment in New York

Customer Question
hi, I live in a...
hi, I live in a government subsidized apartment in New York state, not section 8 housing. my question concerns having a guest stay at my house on a fairly regular basis. I have recently started dating and he lives about a half an hour away and does not drive. I pick him up and he stays a couple nights a week.
yesterday my landlord taped a copy page of my lease concerning guests. I spoke to her about it and she was very clear. if he stays again she will report me to higher management and have me evicted for breaking terms of the lease.
Guests: Residents may be permitted to have guests visit his or her household. However, management reserves the righto request a declaration of domicile or proof of domicile if it is suspected that the guest is an unauthorized household occupant. such suspicion may arise whenever an adult person is making reoccurring visits or one continuous visit of 14 days and/or nights in a 45 day period without prior notification of the information needed to confirm other domicile, or should the facts be sufficient evidence domicile in the project, then management may consider such person a member of the residents household and may enforce any lease covenants shown to be broken and/or require recertification.
My new friend lives in his own apartment in the city. he can provide evidence of having his own "domicile".
what can I do to stop my land lord from hassling me ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you provide an affidavit of domicile with proof of where he lives to the landlord, then that would be what is required to stop the landlord from hassling you.
So you need to have your friend fill out an affidavit and have it notarized and attach a copy of his lease and a utility bill showing where he lives.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney