How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116806
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Story short I need legal help questions on a back Taxes

Customer Question

Long story short I need legal help questions on a back Taxes payment contact with gave me no notice, I found out on my Owen only have to 4 pm to enter contact witch email l revived wasn't a contact none of there info is matching my original tax bills
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It appears you are on a phone or using auto correct and it is tough to completely understand what you typed.
You are saying they are getting ready to auction the property unless you pay by the close of business today? However, you dispute the amount you owe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just received notice to day . I called trying to find out about some type of foreclosed court date my mention that my name was in our local newspaper about fore closer date nov 20, but then she said it was saved, so contacted a lawyer office for rights on fore closer and what was going on , basically told me to find out what court it would be in and ask fore exstencion I was seeking legal concil, call back office on Friday today with new court date and go from there, but there was no court date for me, clears at Supreme Court told me to contact city hall so that how I got this drop on me to day the other refund my money due to it was now amatter of legal advice to sum it up , instead of paying there office $3000. Don't have is there away to contact by phone this will take me fore ever to inform you of the situwation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically I needed information on the payment contract can they take my down payment and not really under the contract if city Council to approve it also my original tax bills do not Match their figures figures now we're more reasonable than what they originally charged I'm going to try to use his corny but it would be much easier thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

If they published notice as required by law, you need to file a motion called an order to show cause, to stay the tax sale before the sale date. If you called the clerk and tax assessor and they have not yet held the foreclosure auction, you have time to arrange with the tax assessor to pay the taxes and stop them selling the property in auction.

Even if the auction has taken place, you still can get the property back through the right of redemption. When the time to redeem in an in rem tax foreclosure action has expired, any person claiming to have an interest in a parcel included in said action shall have the right to make a late redemption payment to the commissioner of finance. Such late redemption payment shall consist of all taxes and charges owing on said parcel, the lawful interest thereon to the date of payment and a penalty of five percent of said payment of taxes, charges and interest, which penalty may not exceed one thousand dollars as to each parcel on which a late redemption payment is being made. Such late redemption payment shall be made in cash or by certified or bank check and shall be accepted by the commissioner of finance at any time after the last day to redeem up to the date on which the commissioner is advised by the corporation counsel that the preparation of the judgment of foreclosure in the in rem action has been commenced. Upon receipt of such late redemption payment, the commissioner of finance shall issue a certificate of withdrawal. See. NY ADC Law 11-407.

So you need to contact the assessor or department of finance, you need to make arrangements to pay and then you can file an appeal after to dispute the amount and get a refund. The important thing is stopping the foreclosure tax sale and then you can work through the local attorney to dispute the proper amount due.