How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you file a lawsuit against persons posting lies against

Customer Question

Can you file a lawsuit against persons posting lies against you on the internet causing an adverse effect on your life
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of practice experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The answer to your question is yes, you can file a suit for libel/slander which is a category of defamation. In order to prevail in such a suit, you must show that a false statement is being made, by a person that either knows or should know that the information is false, that is has been read or heard by third parties and you must show that you have been harmed as a result.

Based on what you have shared with me, it seems as though you have a very viable law suit against these parties for their actions. You can receive damages as a result as well as attorney fees. You can also receive an injunction against them, barring them from making false statements against you in this format moving forward.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so that I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you file a restraining order against my significant other for posts on the Internet trying to get me caught up in some law suit saying that I've stolen prizes she's supposedly won on the Internet and getting credit cards in her name? I'm no their and I resent the add us at ions and it's caused real problems in my life
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Yes, a person can get a restraining order against a person that is doing this to them. You need only go to the courthouse in the county in which you reside and ask to file a temporary restraining order against this person. They will allow you to fill out paperwork and the judge will review and sign off on it. You then have to get the sheriff's office to serve the restraining order on the person.

Once that takes place, you typically will have a hearing before the judge within two weeks to determine whether or not the order should remain in place. You can argue your side, present exhibits, have witnesses, etc. If the judge rules in your favor, he will then convert the restraining order to a permanent injunction against this person.

You don't need a lawyer to do any of this either. It is actually pretty simple.

Restraining internet predators like this is new ground for judges, but they do have the jurisdiction to take action.