Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I garnished an employee of at and t. They sent back the

Customer Question
disclosure within the 14th day...
I garnished an employee of at and t. They sent back the disclosure within the 14th day in michigan. Stating emoloyee was liable to pay bi weekly periodic garnishments. However , been well over 28 days and i havent received any funds. I had to serve the writ through a servicing agent and never can talk to anyone.
What would be my next steo
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
11/20/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your next step is filing a motion for an order to show cause for contempt in the court that issued the garnishment order against AT&T and the employee and have them served and brought into court as to why you are not receiving the funds that are being garnished. You can also seek damages from the company for having to bring them back to court, including any attorney's fees and court costs.
I thought i could only do that if they didnt send disclosure form back within 14 days in which they did.
i send motion to [email protected] and defendent forcshow cause
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, you send them and the defendant a motion for order to show cause for contempt and bring them to court to explain why they did not send the money.
Thank you
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
I shall .. thank you.One more question. Does emoloyer have 28 days from date they send back the disclosure to release funds. Or 28 days from date they were served with writ.If i sent a,letter are they obligated to tell me if she us employed still, or on disability

Thank you for your reply.

They have 28 days from the date they received the writ.

then been over the 28 days and i just confirmed from a friend she still works there. Why wouldnt they release funds ?
Thank you for your reply.
I really do not know why the company would not release the funds, you are asking me a question I end up asking myself in these cases as well and I still have not been able to answer. I guess it comes down to sometimes they think they are doing their employee a favor and other times in big companies their bureaucratic wheels move slowly to get payments out.
Just checking in to find out if you have further questions.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney