N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Experience:  attorney at self
9653905

I went to court today citation involving no license. When I

Customer Question

I went to court today for a citation involving no license for dog. When I entered the court room, I announced I was making a special appearance. The judge said he was not there to play games. I think repeated that I was making a special appearance. He listed options I had. Told me to think about those and come back tomorrow. I did not respond to this and left the court without signing anything. Does he have jurisdiction to request I return tomorrow? If I return tomorrow can I claim special appearance again?
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

Are you the defendant?

Why did you say you were making a special appearance?

Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

Please describe the duress.

Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

I guess you went to bed, which I should do soon.

The only reason a person would make a special appearance is to contest jurisdiction.

The judge obviously thinks he had jurisdiction to order you to return to court, and whether he is right or wrong, he can have you arrested on a bench warrant if you fail to appear as ordered. He probably did have jurisdiction to make the order, especially if you failed to challenge jurisdiction at the first hearing.

If you do not have a legal reason to claim lack of jurisdiction, the judge is going to get upset if you again try to make a special appearance.

I hope this information is helpful.