Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Was recently involved as co-signer yr old son to purchase a

Customer Question
Was recently involved as co-signer...
Was recently involved as co-signer for 25 yr old son to purchase a car. Bank statement (Ally) arrived yesterday with everything in my name. Co-signed to help son establish credit, what rights do I have, how do I get the account in his name? The salesman led me that this was the case. I live in Columbia, car purchased in Laurel.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
11/19/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Do you mean that your name is ***** ***** or did they leave his name off the accounts entirely? Is his name listed on all the paperwork you signed, including the loan paperwork and the contract for the sale?

His name is ***** ***** the account at all, from the bank on the coupon. Shall I return to the dealer or what?

It sounds like it's just a mistake. If his name's on all the paperwork from the dealer, they should be able to fix it for you. You might even get them to take care of it by phone. You'd only have to go to the dealer if he didn't fill out the loan papers and you have to get the whole deal redone.

You might want to have him check his credit report, too. It's possible that the bank only lists the first person's name on the coupons, and that's always going to be the cosigner. He can look for free at www.annualcreditreport.com or www.creditkarma.com.

His name is ***** ***** paper work, ie. contract, loan papers. He even took out auto insurance, that night, in his name on the car.
I am a substitute teacher and was just shifted in bldg to non-receptive area.
Thank you,your response gives a plan of action.

You're welcome. I hope you can fix this easily. Have a good day.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney