LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I am a black man. I was fired after 13 years with GE Oil and

Customer Question

I am a black man. I was fired after 13 years with GE Oil and Gas. I was given a breathalize test for alcohol, with the results of 0.27. There are two white guys that was arrested for DUI. Neither of them loss their jobs. I am 62 an was ready to retire. After 38 years in the oil field. GE policy is 0.0, do i have a case.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You may have a case. The facts you have provided suggest that there was racial discrimination in the decision to fire you and not the other two employees you mentioned.

I've been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades, and for two of those decades, I have handled employment discrimination law and litigated cases against employers. Your description of the situation seems to indicate that there may be discrimination going on based on your race.

Federal law prohibits harassment and discrimination in the workplace and if it does occur, you do have a legal remedy.

Workplace harassment/discrimination is any unwelcome or unwanted conduct that denigrates or shows hostility or an aversion toward another person on the basis of any characteristic protected by law, which includes an individual's race, color, gender, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, or other personal characteristic protected by law. A conduct is considered unwelcome if the employee did not solicit, instigate or provoke it, and the employee regards ***** ***** as undesirable or offensive.

You have every right to file a race discrimination complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). If your company has 15 or more employees, they are prohibited from discriminating against you. To file a complaint with the EEOC, contact the nearest Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office. To be automatically connected with the nearest office, call(###) ###-#### ***** website: www.eeoc.gov

Federal law specifically prohibits discrimination, based upon the Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Age, Sex or Disability of an individual, with regard to hiring, promotion and firing.

After you file the complaint, your employer will be prohibited from any retaliatory action against you. The EEOC will investigate your claim, and 180 days after the filing of the complaint you may ask for a "right to sue letter". The EEOC will issue you the letter which gives you the right to institute a private civil action against your employer and seek monetary damages.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug