How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My personal home computer was hacked as well as my work

Customer Question

My personal home computer was hacked as well as my work computer by college union employees. The college replaced damaged electronics but my information was stored on college systems. What is my recourse. I can't find a rep to sue, the individuals who did this stole and also distributed my personal and medical information via cell phone and email to each other. They were union and let got with separation packages rather than being fired. What is my recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, you would have a difficult time suing the union.

However, you could try to sue the responsible people individually. This would likely be your best course of action.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I believed, but not sure of the grounds, or how to proceed in suing them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of attorney, or can I sue my self? That is where I am lost. I tried looking up computer security attorneys/lawyers, unless it smillions they are no help, some attorney even offered I pay him then he finds me an
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

I would speak to a local civil litigation attorney depending on where you are located. I wouldn't advise representing yourself on this as the litigation can be very complex.

Some potential causes of action can be negligence, HIPPA violations, invasion of privacy, etc.