How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26870
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was misinformed about my legal driving status and I got

Customer Question

I was misinformed about my legal driving status and I got pulled over for going 30 in a 25 and I am on probation for two separate cases and I got a ticket for speeding and driving with a revoked license I now have a court date on the 30th of this month to see what happens to me but I was wondering if you would know what my punishments might be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


You are supposed to inform your probation officer of any new arrest. THe speeding ticket is not a problem, but the driving on a suspended license is another matter, since it is a criminal offense. Probation does not generally violate just for an arrest, and in my experience, they will wait a bit before they lodge a violation to see what will happen with the new case.

You claim that you were misinformed about your driving status, and I take that to mean you have a defense to the charge. You should contact your lawyer and see if you can fight the case or if he can negotiate with the prosectutor to reduce that charge to another traffic violation. Then probation will likely not bother with you. That would be the best case scenario. The worst case would be that probation violates you and asks the judge to revoke your probation and to resentence you to jail. Then the judge can impose any incarceratory sentence he wants up to the maximum the law allows for that crime. Again, you'd want your lawyer involved sot that you have reqpresentation on the 30th so that if probation does want to terminate you unfavorably and have you resentenced, your lawyer can make an argument for something other than jail, such as house arrest.