How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a problem with a credit card back in 2005, in Nov.

Customer Question

I had a problem with a credit card back in 2005, in Nov. 2014 my wages were garnished by Federated Financial Corp. What steps can I take to resolve this, short of quitting my job ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say with interest I owe a few dollars short of $23,000.00 I was never informed of a court hearing....I was actually working with a rep from this company to pay a reduced amount, and instead got this ? Isn't there a time limit on how long they can come after you for an unsecured debt ? I dont want something for free, but they jackels wouldnt work with you, I just want a fair settlement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As you have asked for a phone call, I will offer you that and I will process that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread.

After you accept my offer of the phone call, would you please provide your phone number? After you do that, please send me a quick Reply to let me know that you have posted the number, so I can call you.

Thanks in advance,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No is fine !
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm afraid that I did not agree to answer your questions through this thread, but only through a call which you requested.

As you no longer want a call, I will opt out.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.


Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, it sounds like what happened here is that the owner of the debt got a judgment against you and managed to garnish your wages for payment of that judgment.

How long ago did this happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the debt is from 2005, the garnishment started Nov 2014
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to know if there is something I can do to put a STOP to the financial co ? get an attorney ? I got all this with no notice...did the laws change recently about unsecured debt ? How can they garnish my wages without me being represented ? just need some questions answered please !
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

I would suggest that you hire an attorney to assist you with this issue.

They technically would not be allowed to get a judgement without proving that they at least tried to serve you.