Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My exhusband send a private guard to follow me. I got a

Customer Question
My exhusband send a private...
My exhusband send a private guard to follow me. I got a video from my condo's management. It shows a car was driving around to wait for me to leave home. When I stop on the street, the car stopped too. He said he is a police. But I know he is not. He is a rich celebraty's body guard. I saw him on TV. My ex husband dose business with that rich man. My condo's video can't see the license very well. Should I call the police?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
11/17/2015
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

I absolutely would report this to the police.This is a crime to misrepresent themselves as a police officer here in Connecticut.

Under the Connecticut criminal penal code of Connecticut General Statutes § 53a-130, the misdemeanor crime of Criminal Impersonation is defined as the impersonation of another with the intent to obtain a benefit, injure or defraud another. The actual act of impersonation occurs when you act the part, mimic the appearance, or adopt the personal identifying characteristics of another individual. You can also be arrested in Connecticut for Criminal Impersonation if you engage in any of the following misconduct: (1) pretend to represent an organization such as a charity or religious organization, (2) mislead people to believe you are a public servant, or (3) impersonate a police officer which is a separate felony charge under Connecticut law.

The crime of Criminal Impersonation is a Class A misdemeanor and is punishable by up to 1 year in prison, a maximum $2,000 fine, and probation.

The police will investigate and the person may be arrested based on your statement.This is a shameful thing this person did to follow you and then lie about their purpose.You can certainly report them and have them charged.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer