How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A 20 year old acquaintance stole a bottle of pills from

Customer Question

A 20 year old acquaintance stole a bottle of pills from another guest during a party in my home. What can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am not sure I understand. What is it you want to do? Do you know the person who took the pills? Do you want criminal charges against them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We know who took the pills - she has admitted it and is basically refusing to return them. She says she gave them to someone else that needed them. I dont want to ruin her life but in filing a police report, what criminal charges would be filed against her?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


Thank you.

The charges could be theft, and also possession of a CDS and if they are giving them away or selling them Distribution of CDS

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

The maximum on these offenses could be up to 5 years in jail. However, generally on a first offense they are placed on probation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would we have to file the charges or the person whose pills were stolen
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

The person who was the victim of the theft would need to file the charges. Though you could make the police aware of this and provide the "victim's" name and they could contact them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as the homeowner, could we file a police report and then let them decide what to do?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You can contact the police and tell them that one of your guests is the victim of a theft that occurred in your home. And they would then investigate - yes.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You would provide the name of the friend who had the pills stolen and you could also provide the name of the guest who took them. It would be up to the police to move forward. But also keep in mind,if you tell the police the theft was of a CDS and now the person has given them to someone else, they would get on it, because of the CDS distribution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. We are hoping to resolve this without police involvement but its good to know what the process will be and what we can do.Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. You can tell the guest who took the pills that this is a big crime and what the possible penalty is and maybe they would work to get the pills back. It's a shame that she does not want to do that.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you