How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a collection call from National Credit Systems and I

Customer Question

I had a collection call from National Credit Systems and I did not know that there was a collection placed on me. I sent them a cease and desist letter and I got to know later that there was an actual collection from my previous apartment. Now the agency says that they only negotiate through mail and since I sent a cease and desist, the payment is required in full. If I change my address and then mail them, will this issue be resolved? How can I get them to negotiate?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you. Please do not forget to rate my response once we are finished.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Your best course of action would be to send a follow-up letter retracting the previous cease and desist. Make sure to state in the letter that you authorize them to negotiate with your over the phone.

I don't believe that changing your address and mailing them from there would be wise. They would still know that they are dealing with the same person and they may take this as an attempt to negotiate in bad faith on your part.

Typically, collection agencies are willing to settle the debt. The sweet spot for them is roughly in the $.40-$.60 per dollar range.

Related Legal Questions