How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5617
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a questions about disability husband. We have an

Customer Question

Hello, I have a questions about disability for my husband. We have an application in for him to start getting disability from Social Securty. We own our own business. I stopped paying him a paycheck from the company but have him in the corporation still as President shareholder of 50% and me as Vic President shareholder of 50%. Do I need to change this in the coming year so he can get disability?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

He can still receive passive income as shareholder, he just cannot actively engage in services for remuneration, these are the SSA rules for substantial gainful activity for the self employed, which can be found at 20 CFR 404.157 - The short story of that regulation is that if you are not actively laboring in exchange for $, then it is not substantial gainful activity.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.