Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was driving a friend home last night, and while I was

Customer Question

I was driving a friend home last night, and while I was driving he was shinning a laser pointer on the road, and out the passenger window into homes, woods, and other things. I told him to stop and he kept on doing it, I kept telling him to stop and he wouldn't listen and kept on doing it. Well I got pulled over after I dropped him off and the cop told me he'd call me tomorrow top come in but he didn't know what for yet. My question is: how responsible can they hold me when I tried to get him to stop, when they questioned him he even told the officers I had nothing to do with it and that he didn't listen to me, and when no accidents or anything happened?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.

Since you had nothing to do with this, then you can't be charged with anything. Further, unless he was shining the laser pointer at aircraft, there is not anything illegal about shining a laser pointer out a car window unless he was shining it in people's eyes.. TN has made it a crime to point one at law enforcement officers, but it doesn't sound like he did that based on your comments.

.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about here because you can't be held liable for friend's potentially illegal conduct.

.

.

thanks