How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55608
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a contract with the Millennium hotel to throw a party

Customer Question

I had a contract with the Millennium hotel to throw a party in their grand ballroom, and they shut us down 2 hours in before we even let everyone who paid for tickets inside. We had our own security staff and we paid them for police detail. Not only did the police detail not even show up to the event. They didn't give us any of the money back we paid them for the venue or for the police and we had to refund all of the people who bought tickets to our party as well use our own money to throw a free party right after that. Nowhere in the contract said that they could shut our event down early.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You absolutely have recourse here. They are in breach of contract. Since they don't seem willing resolve this voluntarily, you want to raise the stakes on them. Send them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and their default, and demand they refund your money and compensate you for any losses you suffered. Inform them that if they do not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, they will settle this to your satisfaction without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the fraud and/or deceptive trade practice judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!