How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a tricky situation, I had a insurance with my

Customer Question

I am in a tricky situation, I had a bundle insurance with my brother so we could save a bit of money, I would send him the money every month and he was supposed to pay for it, somehow he skipped payment for over 45 days and insurance was cancelled and I was not aware of it until recently, when got into a car accident and was found at fault, thinking I had insurance I gave my information to the police officer along with the insurance number and went on my way. I called up the insurance company the next day and they could not find me on file.
My question is this: I went to get a motorcycle's license and was told I wouldn't be able to because there was an accident on file and I need to provide that I was insured or fill out a form of some sort. I need to know what to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

So at this time, you need to show that you have insurance. It is not proving you had insurance at the time of the accident because you didn't. So the DMV needs to see that you are "insurable" And generally that requires an SR-22 from your current insurance company. They should have the form or you can get it from the DMV. Take the form to your current insurance agent and have them fill it out and then bring that to the DMV.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you