How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I red 3 men and a truck moving company to

Customer Question

My husband and I hired 3 men and a truck moving company to move us from Lexington SC to Beaufort SC and he came and gave my husband an estimate of $4200 for the job. The date set for us to move wasnt going to be the time we actually were going to be able to move to Beaufort, so they packed up everything in their trucks and only had to move them one mile from our residence to a moving storage unit,, and we ended up having to rent 2 units for the storage. By the time the 2 guys put everything in the storage unit it was 10 pm and dark and they gave my husband the paperwork to sign for the job being accomplished and he signed it however the bill ended up being 4500 dollars....The manager of the company was told in advance that the move would not be to Beaufort (130 miles away but would be to storage units one mile away.) the owner said he would adjust the price and it would be lower than the original estimate. Bot***** *****ne is it wasnt, and my husband signed the paper in the dark n0t realizing the cost. They were paid $2000 and have been threatening us for the rest of the bill, which is totally absurd. My husband ended up paying the rest because I refused to and I feel like we have totally been taken advantage of and in a sense scammed. Is there anything I can do to fight this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Short of filing a lawsuit (which I am not entirely sure you would prevail on here - keep in mind, I only have the facts you posted, and not the documentation that you (or your husband) actually signed, which is going to be critical to any lawsuit), you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.