Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Someone look over the shoulder of someone I was having a

Customer Question

Hi...someone look over the shoulder of someone I was having a text conversation with and took a picture of it, then sent it out to our youth team parents and posted it on Facebook. Is that legal?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, it is not illegal, as in against any specific criminal law.

The only type of prohibition against that would be a stretch, and that would be claiming that the text was copyrighted and thus posting it is in violation of the copyright laws. Likely if you make that claim to Facebook then they would remove the post since they claim to be cracking down on copyright and trademark violations.

However, I have never seen the copyright argument made in a situation like this, even in case law, but in theory it should work if you want to devote the time and effort to pursuing it.