Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Id like to know if theres any liens against me

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
11/13/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is unfortunately no statewide or nationwide database of liens. However, there are very few ways that a person can get a lien against you. One would be to file a lawsuit, which means that you should've been served with notice of the case and had the opportunity to go to court and defend the case. You can call the local courthouse on Monday to see if they have any civil cases with your name on it. Judgments also are frequently reported on your credit, so if you'd prefer not to wait, you can try pulling a free copy of your credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com or www.creditkarma.com.

Someone who has done work on real estate that you own can place a lien on the property for monies they believe they are owed. That type of lien might not show up on a credit report, and the courthouse wouldn't have a record of a case against you until they sued. However, you can check with the Recorder of Deeds in your county to see if there are any liens still on your property. Some counties have records online, so check to see what you can find. If you can't view or search records online, you'll be able to call the Recorder on Monday when they open for business.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

I am not satisfied with this service....i will stop payment

You can request a refund through customer service at any time. There's no need to stop payment. I apologize if you thought there was an easy way to look up something like this.

However if you have more questions or I did not answer what you asked, you are absolutely welcome to ask additional questions.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney