Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I HAVE REASON TO SUSPECT MY OWN BANK IS RESPONSIBLE MONTHS

Customer Question

I HAVE REASON TO SUSPECT MY OWN BANK IS RESPONSIBLE FOR 6 MONTHS OF $51.00 DEBITS BEING TAKEN FROM MY CHECKING ACCOUNT SINCE APRIL OF THIS YEAR. WHAT TO DO?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Normally, you just have to file a written dispute with the bank within 60 days of when the charge appeared on your statement. So you should be able to at least get the last two months reversed fairly easily. Based on the evidence you have, if you walk in to the bank and speak with an agent, they are usually very good about removing these types of transactions and refunding your money. If that does not work, then you can always sue the bank in small claims court for unjust enrichment or for a court order that says that the charges should be reveresed under what is known as a declaratory judgment action. Here is the law in Texas:

Unjust enrichment is found under circumstances in which one person has obtained a benefit from another by fraud, duress, or the taking of an undue advantage. Heldenfels Bros., Inc. v. City of Corpus Christi, 832 S.W.2d 39, 41 (Tex. 1992). Unjust enrichment "characterizes the result of a failure to make restitution of benefits either wrongfully or passively received under circumstances that give rise to an implied or quasi-contractual obligation to repay." Friberg-Cooper Water Supply Corp. v. Elledge, 197 S.W.3d 826, 832 (Tex. App--Fort Worth 2006), rev'd on other grounds, 240 S.W.3d 869 (Tex. 2007)