How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37854
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a partner in a building who has not comutatedwith me

Customer Question

i have a partner in a building who has not comutatedwith me for approx 20 years and now i want to sell the building and idont know where to get in touch with him I have handled all the buiness of the building and am wondering what obligation I have to him and can i sign his name as the represenative ofthe ownership i do owen 50%
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

In order to sign the deed over to a buyer, unless you have a valid Power of Attorney allowing you to sell the property on your partner's behalf, both you and your partner will have to sign all the sale paperwork. This also included the listing paperwork for the Realtor that you hire to list the property.

You have little choice but to either locate him and get his cooperation in the sale, or you can file an action in court for Partition and get a court order allowing you to sell the property without his consent and cooperation. A commercial real estate attorney would be able to help you with the Partition lawsuit if one becomes necessary.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,