How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was at work and almost passed out, never lost

Customer Question

I was at work and almost passed out, never lost consciousness, was blinking my eyes fast and started studdering. I was alert and oriented to where I was able to give them my medical history, daughters phone. Once I was in the emergency room I told the nurse I felt dizzy and she told me she had just given me a sedative. I don't remember much after that. According to my daughter they asked her for consent to treat me, this was after I was sedated. She is not my power of attorney. They allowed several coworkers to see me while sedated to which my daughter said I was behaving inappropriately. They did a drug test on me, which was negative of course. My next memory is the next morning in the hospital. I filed a complaint because I feel I was treated without consent. This was not an emergent situation, I could speak for myself. The hospital is saying that I am responsible for the 6,000 of the remaining bill. I feel I don't owe this balance because they treated me without my consent, held me overnight and allowed people to visit which is a violation of HIPPA. Am I responsible for this bill?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting on my response
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

The short and sweet answer is that you can certainly contest the hospital bill with the hospital by stating that you never gave consent to be treated. However, this will be a difficult, uphill battle with unlikely chances of success.

The better path may be the following:

Most of the time they may be unwilling to work with you on the bill. At this point, if you still don't pay the bill, the bill will go into collections. Once the bill is in collections, you can negotiate a much smaller lump sum payment of the bill.

Your first step should be to try to negotiate the bill with the hospital and offer them a lower lump sum payment directly.