Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am 67 a widow and i work full time. i recieve ss benefit

Customer Question

I am 67 a widow and i work full time. i recieve ss benefit check mo. i do not get any widow benifits or survivor benefits. i declined them when my husband died yrs. ago. my question is i am going to marry in March 2016 and my fiancee is 69 retired and recieves his ss check. i think i read somewhere that if you marry and both parties recieve ss. and one parties check is lower than the others by 50% then the lower party's check will increase to what the higher earned parties check is. ex. if my check is $2600/ mo and his is $1300 a mo, then his will increase to the higher rate of $2600 to be equal. is this correct. I ALSO READ THAT FOR THAT TO HAPPEN YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE MARRIED FOR 2 OR MORE YRS. IS THAT CORRECT?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

Thats correct except the waiting period after remarriage is only one year here.But the rest of this is accurate.

Here are two references to the one year requirement.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/what-all-remarried-newlyweds-need-to-know-about-social-security/

If survivors remarry before age 60, they lose their survivor benefits (unless they marry a widow or divorced spouse as explained above). But if they lose their survivor benefits, they may be eligible for a spousal benefit based on their new mate's earnings record once they have been married for one year.

After a year of marriage you would be eligible here for ht higher benefit.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you good luck with the marriage.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Here is more about the spousal benefit which you were correct on, it would go up to the amount you state or close to it.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3754/What-is-the-eligibility-for-Social-Security-spouse-s-benefits-and-my-own-retirement-benefits

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating it is always sincerely ***** ***** again.