How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118635
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My landlord has an arp building and it is section 8.our

Customer Question

hello, my landlord has an arp building and it is section 8.our elevater has been down for months and we are on the brink of hud closing us down ,instead of him paying the elevater company he wants to put an injunction against them so he can get work done by electricians.the thing is he feels like the elevater companies have joined forces to prevent from going anywhere but to them. the reality is ,hes owes them all money and that's why they won't provide service unless paid up front.i am in maine so this is under maine law. all I know is this is an elderly and disabled housing unit and the elevater is a necessity.he has 30 days to respond and all he is doing is searching for a lawyer to agree with him. my question is under maine law can he do this, because in maine it says only licenced elevater personnel can work on elevaters can you help, Phyllis stevens
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the fact that there is no working elevator is making the premises unsafe or not livable, he is in breach of the lease because your lease guarantees you the right to a habitable premises under Maine landlord tenant law. So as a tenant, you can sue him for breach of lease and seek a court order to force him to make the repairs.
You need to go to your local legal aid office and get legal representation if HUD is not able to force the landlord to make the repairs and the landlord is delaying the process and you need to seek the injunction ordering them to make repairs or pay for you to stay elsewhere until they are able to do so as they are breaching your lease under their warranty of habitability.