Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Former employer made campaign contributions through

Customer Question

Former employer made campaign contributions through employees. In my case I said no but donations had already been made. The employer issued non negotiable checks as bonuses in employees name but must have cut campaign a check. The employer made contribution of $4600 in name of employees. The campaign returned $2300 to employer and employer reissued that money in name of employee spouse's.
Employees had to pay the tax burden for the $4600.
I know longer work for employer and want to be reimbursed for loss of funds. What is my recourse?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The employer has violated so many different laws it is hard to know where to start. You can contact the Dept of Labor regarding the bonus which was diverted without permission. Additionally, there may be an action for fraud to assert against the employer.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The political campaign may have also violated campaign financing laws. You should demand the campaign refund your unauthorized contribution and also contact the Minnesota Attorney General to file complaints against the employer and the campaign. They will investigate and take appropriate action.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Here is contact info for the AG: http://www.ag.state.mn.us/Office/ContactUs.asp